Bahrain affirms full support to US strategy against Iran

MANAMA, May 21 (KUNA) — Bahrain expressed full solidarity with US strategy toward Iran on Monday, which was laid out earlier by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

In a statement, Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms the full support of the Kingdom of Bahrain for the strategy of the United States of America towards Iran.

The strategy reflects determination to confront the danger of Iranian policies that undermine security and stability in the region and to overcome the shortcomings of the nuclear agreement as well as to prevent the dangers of Iran’s ballistic missile programme, the statement said.

Bahrain praises continued efforts of the United States to strengthen regional and international peace and security as well as its relentless efforts to take all possible measures to prevent the spread of chaos and tension in the region and solve its crises.

Bahrain also considers itself on the same page with the United States in the face of the Iranian threat and in addressing Iran’s attempts to spread violence and terrorism.

Bahrain asserts on the need for Iran to respond positively to all efforts that aim at achieving peace and resolving conflicts in the region and to clear it from nuclear weapons and all weapons of mass destruction.

Bahrain also underscores the necessity of Iran to immediately stop its support for terrorist militias, to adhere to international laws and norms and to immediately halt interference in the internal affairs of the states of the region.

Earlier, Pompeo threatened “the strongest sanctions in history” against Iran if it doesn’t change course, and issued a list of demands he wants to be included in a new nuclear treaty with Tehran.

“This is just the beginning. The sting of sanctions will be painful,” Pompeo said before the conservative Heritage Foundation.

“These will be the strongest sanctions in history when complete.” Sanctions that had been lifted due to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) are scheduled to go back into effect.

“Sanctions are going back in full effect, and new ones are coming,” Pompeo added.

Source: Kuwait News Agency