BRUSSELS, The European Union (EU) condemned on Monday the terror attacks in Afghanistan earlier in the day in which many people are reported dead.
“The people of Afghanistan continue to pay the heaviest price for the conflict ravaging their country.
They also continue to suffer from a blatant disregard for international humanitarian law, civilians, and most of all children, must never be a target,” EU High Representative Federica Mogherini said in a statement.
She noted that this morning, in southern Kandahar province, 11 school children have been killed during an attack on a NATO convoy that also hit a nearby school.
Also today, two bomb attacks in Kabul, the second of which seems to have specifically targeted journalists reporting from the scene, killed at least 25 people, of whom 9 were journalists. Many more were injured.
In a separate incident this afternoon, a BBC journalist was shot dead in Khost province.
Journalists, in Afghanistan and elsewhere, dedicate their lives to bringing stories and images from often difficult and dangerous circumstances, said the EU foreign policy chief. “Their work is vital for its contribution to democracy and to fundamental freedoms.
The European Union’s condolences go to the Afghan people and authorities, and particularly to those who have lost loved ones, family, friends and colleagues in today’s attacks.
The European Union continues to stand with and support Afghanistan in the country’s path to achieve peace and prosperity, she added.
Source: Kuwait News Agency