France strongly condemns attack on Libyan oil installations

France on Thursday strongly condemned an attack earlier in the day against the Ras Lanuf oil installations and the protection force deployed there.

The Foreign Ministry said that the attack was contrary to the interests of the Libyan people who own the Libyan oil resources and should not lose control of their property.

“France condemns in the strongest terms the offensive carried out today by extremist elements…against the oil installations of Sidra, in the town of Ras Lanuf,” the statement from Paris said.

The National Oil Corporation (NOC) should remain in control of the oil resources of Libya and oversee their use for the benefit of all Libyans, the French statement noted.

France reiterated its determination to find a political solution to the Libyan situation through the organisation of national, presidential and legislative elections which were agreed at a meeting hosted by France on May 29 and in which several important Libyan factions participated.

“As recalled in the political statement in Paris (on May 29), those who block this process will have to answer for this,” the Foreign Ministry remarked.

The statement additonally repeated strong support for the UN Special Envoy for Libya, Ghassan Salame, and his efforts to get a political solution and unity of all Libyan institutions under a civil authority and through an inclusive process.

Source: Kuwait News Agency