ADEN, The Houthi militias withdrew its forces out of key ports in Yemen, the first practical progress under a ceasefire deal agreed last year, UN has announced.
The Houthis have pullout from the ports of Hodeidah, Saleef and Ras Isa in accordance with established plans, Lt. Gen. Michael Lollesgaard, head of the UN’s Redeployment Coordination Committee (RCC), said in a statement Sunday.
“All three ports were monitored simultaneously by United Nations teams as the military forces left the ports and the coast guard took over responsibility for security” he said.
He added that military equipment was expected to be removed in the coming days, while de-mining was also planned.
Formal verification of the first redeployment will take place at the three ports on Tuesday, according to the UN.
Source: Kuwait News Agency