TEHRAN, Iran is able to resume 20-percent uranium enrichment at Fordo nuclear facility in maximum two or three days, Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Sunday.
Uranium enrichment activities at Fordo are ready, Kamalvandi told Iranian Fars Nnews Agency (FNA), adding that “it is like a car with its switch on and ready to go”.
Iran has the right to resume its nuclear activities if the Europeans failed to meet the country’s demands, Kamalvandi noted.
The European officials’ remarks on working with Iran after the US withdrawal from the nuclear agreement were extremely positive, the Iranian official stressed.
However, he pointed out that it is important to turn these remarks into a reality. Kamalvandi explained that Iran reduced some of its nuclear activities in the past in line with the nuclear agreement.
He indicated that there is no obstacle preventing Tehran from resuming uranium enrichment, saying that Iran now has 6,000 centrifuges operating at Natanz and Fordo.
US President Donald Trump declared on May 8 in a televised speech withdrawal from the nuclear deal and the resumption of economic sanctions on Iran.
Last week, the European Union (EU) announced that it would begin an operation aiming to protect the European companies’ interest working in Iran from the US sanctions, which will be activated by August 8.
Source: Kuwait News Agency