KUWAIT, Kuwait Thursday highly appreciated efforts by Iraq, the International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) and the Tripartite committee over progress made regarding fate of Kuwaiti missing persons.
This came in a phone call between Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah and Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohammad Al-Hakim after Kuwait received human remains earlier today said to belong to Kuwaitis who had been missing or held as prisoners by former Iraqi regime.
Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled, according to a statement by the foreign ministry, said he was looking forward for further positive results over this “important humane file.” He reiterated keenness to continue cooperation with Iraq over this issue.
Kuwait received human remains from Iraqi authorities pending forensics’ examination locally.
Handover of the human remains was organized at the border Al-Abdali checkpoint, with attendance of Kuwaiti and Iraqi officials.
Iraq had declared dicovery of the corpses’ remains saying they belonged to Kuwaitis.
They are suspected to be of missing Kuwaitis and POWs, snatched and slain by personnel of the ousted Iraqi regime that invaded Kuwait on August 2, 1990, and occupied the Gulf State for seven months.
Source: Kuwait News Agency