N. Korea threatens to cancel Trump-Kim summit

TOKYO, North Korea warned on Wednesday that it might cancel the upcoming summit talks with US President Donald Trump if Washington insists it “unilaterally” abandon its nuclear weapons.

“If the US is trying to drive us into a corner to force our unilateral nuclear abandonment, we will no longer be interested in such dialogue and cannot but reconsider our proceeding to the DPRK-US summit,” Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said in a statement carried by state-run Korean Central News Agency.

DPRK is the acronym for the North’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. His remarks come as North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Trump are set to hold summit talks in Singapore on June 12.

Kim criticized the US for demanding a Libya model for its denuclearization and the complete dismantlement of the North’s nuclear weapons.

“It is essentially a manifestation of awfully sinister move to impose on our dignified state the destiny of Libya or Iraq which had been collapsed due to yielding the whole of their countries to big powers,” said Kim, adding that Pyongyang has already expressed its intention to make the Korean Peninsula nuclear-free.

He also stressed that the North has clarified several times that the US should stop its anti-North Korean hostile policy as a precondition for its denuclearization.

Source: Kuwait News Agency