NEW DELHI: India on Thursday confirmed the first positive novel coronavirus case in the southern Indian state of Kerala. Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said in statement: “One positive case of novel coronavirus patient, of a student studying at Wuhan university, has been reported in Kerala. The patient has tested positive for novel coronavirus and is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored.” The ministry, meanwhile, said that a high level review meeting on preparedness for novel coronavirus was held today. “Cabinet Secretary held four review meetings so far and today’s meeting reviewed the preparedness with the concerned Ministries of Health and Family Welfare, External Affairs, Defence, Home Affairs, Civil Aviation, Information and Broadcasting, Labour and Employment, and Shipping,” the ministry said. The Cabinet Secretary also held a video conference with the chief secretaries of the states and union territories. Several measures have been taken following the high level meeting. “All those who have come from China after 15th January, 2020, shall be tested as there in an incubation period for the virus. The Cabinet Secretary has stressed upon the need for 14 days’ home isolation for all those who have returned from China,” the statement added. The ministry also advised to avoid trip to China and increase lab facilities. India also decided to put up health check-posts in relevant tourist locations and awareness campaigns were organised to make people aware of the symptoms, precautions and measures taken by the state governments regarding prevention and management for novel coronavirus in villages bordering Nepal. Among the common symptoms of coronavirus infection are fever, cough, difficulty in breathing, shortness of breath, kidney failure and even death in more serious cases. Source: Kuwait News Agency

TOKYO: South Korea on Thursday confirmed two more cases of the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of people infected to six, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Of the two, one recently had returned from Wuhan, the epicenter of the latest outbreak, but the other was the country’s first case of human transmission of the novel virus, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The first person-to-person infection involves a 56-old man who had been in close contact with the country’s third confirmed patient, who had, in turn, returned from China last week without showing symptoms.

Meanwhile, the government will send one chartered flight to the coronavirus-hit Chinese city on Thursday night to bring home its citizens from the locked-down city, the report said.

The flight is expected to evacuate at least half the 700 South Koreans from Wuhan, it said, adding Seoul seeks to send another flight to bring the remainder home.

Seoul has been going all-out to stem the spread of the pneumonia-like illness that has killed 170 and infected over 7,700 in China alone. South Korea has reported six confirmed cases of the virus infection since early last week, with no fatalities so far. Health authorities are tracking 2,991 individuals who flew from Wuhan between Jan. 14 and 23, considering the disease’s 14-day incubation period.

Source: Kuwait News Agency