WASHINGTON, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday any effort made to re-open the file of alleged violations committed during the conflict in Afghanistan would be a “waste of time and resources”.
“An investigation by the International Criminal Court (ICC) of US personnel would be unjustified and unwarranted, and any ICC effort to re-open this case would be a waste of its time and resources – something the ICC judges recognized when they stated in their decision that such an investigation would be “inevitably doomed to failure”, he said in statement.
The United States remains committed to protecting its personnel from the ICC’s wrong-headed efforts spearheaded by a few grandstanders,” he added.
The judges were right to reject the Prosecutor’s outrageous request to investigate US personnel on April 12, and the appeal process is pointless as far as we are concerned, he added.
The United States is not a party to the ICC’s Rome Statute and has consistently voiced its unequivocal objections to any attempts to assert ICC jurisdiction over US personnel, Pompeo pointed out.
As previously stated, the United States will take all necessary steps to defend its sovereignty and protect US and allied personnel from unjust investigation and prosecution by the ICC.
On March 15, the United Stated announced a policy restricting issuance of visas to any and all ICC officials determined to be directly responsible for an ICC investigation of US personnel, or of allied personnel without our allies’ consent, he said.
“We will remain vigilant in applying this policy. The United States respects the decision of those nations that have chosen to join the ICC, and in turn, we expect that our decision not to join and not to place our people under the court’s jurisdiction will also be respected,” he stated.
Source: Kuwait News Agency