Taiwan bans entry of most Hong Kong, Macau residents

TOKYO Taiwan said it will temporarily close its borders to most residents of Hong Kong and Macau starting Tuesday as part of its efforts to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, Central News Agency reported Monday.

Taiwan’s authorities decided to impose the entry ban in light of the escalation of the new coronavirus, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan and has been spreading rapidly in Guangdong Province on the borders of Hong Kong and Macau, the report said.

The ban followed a decision last Friday by Taiwan authorities to stop issuing entry permits to Hong Kong and Macau residents on arrival and suspend online applications for such permits.

On Wednesday, the Central Epidemic Command Center raised its epidemic alert for Hong Kong and Macau to the second level in its three tier warning system, as signs of community transmission of the deadly virus appeared in Hong Kong, and a casino worker was in Macau was confirmed to be infected.

Last week, Taiwan temporarily banned the entry of all mainland Chinese citizens, as well as foreign nationals who may have been in China, Hong Kong or Macau in the 14 days leading up to their travel to Taiwan.

Source: Kuwait News Agency