Trump accuses Iran of orchestrating attack on US embassy in Baghdad

WASHINGTON, US President Donald Trump has accused Iran of standing behind Tuesday’s attack on the US embassy in Baghdad, warning that it would be held accountable for its actions.

“Now Iran is orchestrating an attack on the US Embassy in Iraq. They will be held fully responsible,” he tweeted.

The US leader demanded Iraqi government to safeguard the embassy in Baghdad.

“We expect Iraq to use its forces to protect the Embassy, and so notified!” He stated that Iran was behind last week’s rocket assault on a coalition military base in Iraq which left an American contractor dead and many others wounded.

“Iran killed an American contractor, wounding many. We strongly responded, and always will.” Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo phoned Iraqi outgoing Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi and President Barham Salih and told them that the US would protect and defend its people, who are there to support a sovereign and independent Iraq.

“Both Abdul-Mahdi and Salih assured the Secretary that they took seriously their responsibility for and would guarantee the safety and security of US personnel and property,” said State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus.

Source: Kuwait News Agency