LONDON, Britain is “confident” that Iran is to blame for yesterday’s attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, its Foreign Office said in a statement on Friday.
“Our own assessment leads us to conclude that responsibility for the attacks almost certainly lies with Iran,” Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said after the findings.
“In targeting civilian shipping, international norms have been violated,” he added.
One of the ships, bearing a Marshall Islands flag had departed a Qatari port, while the other, a Panama flag-bearing ship, had departed Saudi Arabia.
Both suffered a forced evacuation of all on board after the vessels had been targeted by torpedoes off the shores of Iran.
The foreign secretary called on Tehran “urgently to cease all forms of destabilising activity.” Yesterday, US State Secretary Mike Pompeo directly accused Iran of carrying out the attack, amid an assessment, he said, was “based on intelligence, the weapons used (and) the levels of expertise needed to execute the operation.”
Source: Kuwait News Agency