US strongly condemns terrorist attacks in Nigeria

WASHINGTON, The US strongly condemned on Thursday the “craven” terrorist attacks against a mosque in Mubi, Nigeria earlier this week.

The White House said in a statement that these attacks, “which deliberately targeted people at a place of worship, are a stark reminder of the depravity of those who commit mass murder against innocents.” “As President Donald J. Trump reaffirmed with President Buhari of Nigeria on Monday, the United States stands firm with Nigeria in its fight against the scourge of terrorism,” it reiterated.

Meanwhile, the White House said in a separate statement that the U.S. is “extremely concerned” over recent attacks against civilian centers, including Tuesday’s attack on a Christian church in Bangui and the “retaliatory attacks on Muslim community members” in the Central African Republic (CAR).

It urged the government officials “to provide safety and security for all of its citizens, regardless of faith,” and called on the citizens “to reject incitement to violence and hatred, especially by armed groups looking to exploit the current situation for their own benefit.” It affirmed that the US “supports the people of CAR and their elected government as they build toward better security, peace and prosperity.” The White House also voiced support for the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission’s “rapid response to protect civilians and fulfill their mandate.

Source: Kuwait News Agency