Intel community looking at who responsible for SolarWinds breach – WH official

A White House top official said Wednesday that the intelligence community is “looking at who is responsible” for the SolarWinds breach and that it will take “sometimes to uncover this layer by layer.” Deputy National Security Advisor for Cyber and Emerging Technology Anne Neuberger said during a White House briefing “until that study is complete, I will use the language we previously used, which was to say an advanced persistent threat actor likely of Russian origin was responsible.” She pointed out “as of today, nine federal agencies and about 100 private sector companies were compromised.” She added “many of the private sector compromises are technology companies, including networks of companies whose products could be used to launch additional intrusions.” “The hackers launched the attack from inside the United States which further made it difficult for the US government to observe their activity,” she stressed.

“We believe it took them months to plan and execute this compromise. It will take us sometimes to uncover this layer by layer,” she continued.

She indicated “we’re also working on close to about a dozen things; likely, eight will pass to be part of an upcoming executive action to address the gaps we have identified in our review of this incident”

Source: Kuwait News Agency