N. Korea: Talks with US possible in weeks

TOKYO, North Korea said Monday that working-level talks with the US will likely take place within weeks, but sought security guarantees from Washington as a precondition to resuming negotiations.

“The discussion of denuclearization may be possible when threats and hurdles endangering our system security and obstructing our development are clearly removed beyond all doubt,” a director general in charge of US affairs at the Foreign Ministry, who was unnamed, said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

Whether the upcoming meeting will be a “window of opportunity” or brings about a precipitate crisis is entirely up to the US,” the senior official warned, adding that he hopes the “negotiations are expected to be held in a few weeks Last week, North Korea’s First Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui said Pyongyang is willing to resume denuclearization talks with the US in late September.

The denuclearization talks have been stalled since February’s no-deal summit in Hanoi.

US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un held a surprise meeting at the inter-Korean border on June 30 and agreed to restart nuclear talks within several weeks, but such talks have not taken place so far.

Source: Kuwait News Agency