S. Korea expands strict quarantine to Hong Kong, Macau

TOKYO South Korea said Tuesday it will apply strict quarantine screening to entrants from Hong Kong and Macau, in addition to those who arrive from mainland China, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Currently, entrants from China are asked to fill out health questionnaires to check whether they have fever or respiratory problems. Foreigners are required to write a special quarantine report, providing their mobile phone numbers and domestic stay addresses, as well as disclosing any visit to Hubei Province the epicenter of the global outbreak in the past two weeks, the report said.

The measure, set to take effect Wednesday, comes after reports that the country’s 26th and 27th confirmed cases stayed in China’s Guangdong Province for three months before returning to South Korea on January 31 via Macau. Neither were screened upon arrival, as their flight stopped over at Macau, according to health authorities.

Passengers from China are required to pass through ‘China only’ arrival counters at airports for suspected symptoms of the new coronavirus.

Since February 4, South Korea also has implemented entry ban on all foreign travelers who, over the past 14 days, have stayed in or traveled to the central Chinese province, home to Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus is believed to have originated late last year.

Source: Kuwait News Agency