Yemeni gov’t: redeployment in Hodeida should be monitored by all parties

ADEN, A Yemeni government official said Friday any redeployment process taking place in Hodeida city and ports should be monitored by all parties.

“Any unilateral deployment taking place without common supervision and verification is a deviation from the Stockholm agreement over Hodeida and its ports,” Major-General Saghir bin Aziz, head of the Yemeni government team in the Redeployment Coordination Committee, said in a statement.

He said the government was ready to implement the first phase of the redeployment in Hodeida and had already informed the UN about its intentions.

Bin Aziz was commenting on a UN statement earlier Friday which said Houthi militias agreed to unilaterally withdraw from three major ports in Hodeida starting May 11.

The UN said its mission would monitor the withdrawal of the Houthis from Ras Essa, Salif and Hodeida ports.

The UN-brokered Stockholm agreement, reached in the Swedish capital last December 13, states the first phase of redeployment in Hodeida ports to start two weeks after the ceasefire entered force on December 18.

Source: Kuwait News Agency